Search The Pig

Monday, March 5, 2012

There is porcine and bovine goodness coming!

I promise!  A lot has been happening at home and work the last few weeks so it's held me up.  I've got material for several blog posts: Bacon, Beef Jerky and possible home cured Corned Beef (If I remembered to take any photos).

Never fear - the pork belly was acquired and has since been cut up and put in dry cure for the next week.  Part One of that adventure to come shortly!

 In the meantime...teaser photos!  FYI - clutter in the background is stuff I'm using as I prep the things your seeing - yes I need to work on my composition somewhat so I get nice clean photos.  But I like to know the workspace  is 'real' and not staged. ;)

-Cracklin'

Gorgeous Pork Belly from my local butcher - Lothar Erbe

The savory variety of bacon cure.
Smashed garlic with freshly cracked peppercorns and fresh crushed bay leaves....heaven.

The makings of great beef jerky.

Peppercorns and dried chipotle pepper being ground up for beef jerky marinade. 

Yummy slices of london broil in this versions marinade.  Can't wait to throw on the dehydrator today!


2 comments:

  1. Lookin' good! I made beef jerky last week, ironically.

    You can skip waiting for the meat to marinade; the marinade is primarily for flavor and shouldn't be relied on for pasteurization (if you're concerned about proper food safety, make sure the meat gets >~155°F in the dehydrator).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff- Thanks very much for the feedback and stopping by. Hoping to keep building the amount of food material that's on this site, especially as I work through a few books I have (Charcuterie and Nose to Tail).

      The waiting on the marinade is in part me being lazy - more than a couple hours I know is not necessary for flavoring. Goal isn't for pasteurization (hadn't thought of that actually!) - I don't think there's enough acid in the marinade to accomplish that. It'll get nice and warm in the dehydrator. Yum!

      Thanks again!

      Delete