Search The Pig

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What the frick is a french pig? (A Food Magna Carta)

Who Am I?  What is this all about?  Why are you choosing such a ridiculous name?

Well - I love cooking.  I love chopping, cutting, dicing, slicing, rendering, baking, frying (yum!), grilling, smoking, grinding, stuffing (I think you get the picture)....all kinds of food.  I especially like making my own preserved and smoked meats: sausage, prosciutto, salami, jerky, pulled pork (*gasp* there the first porcine reference!), etc...

So - in an effort to start chronicling my adventures down the culinary rabbit hole that I call my free time (when it exists) - I've started a blog and named it after a venture that I hope to one day have.  The name is a creation of myself and a good friend who also loves to cook.

I'll warn you - sometimes it's going to be just about cooking, other times it might be ruminations on food, food prep, food use and occasionally, rarely about life.  Then again, maybe I shouldn't limit the life aspect - after all, food is interwoven into our lives - it feeds us, nourishes us and also brings people together.

As my dad always tries to do when we travel "Do you want to get a pastry??", sadly, No Dad, I don't want the pastry (I've been on a mission to lose weight and be in better shape for the last 6 or 7 months, so far 40+ pounds lost and I fit into clothes that I used to wear 6 years ago when I was still another 20+ pounds lighter - so I think it's working - all while enjoying the food I love).  But I'll take a coffee and sit and talk with you over some hot joe as you tear into that sugary delight, washed down with your own cuppa joe - it just helps folks come together.  How many occasions are centered around a big meal with all your family around?  Loads.

Food is life.  That's my approach.  I love making things from scratch, be it vanilla extract, beer, sausage, bacon (next adventure, stay tuned!), bread, pizza dough or even cheeses.  I'll try anything at least once to get a better feeling of it's original essence and freshness before buying it in the store (perhaps never to be purchased again in some cases - yum!).

So come with me my friends and see what the French Pig has to explore.

Come hungry, Come Curious, Leave Full.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog! Cannot wait to read more. Who knows maybe you can even teach this kitchen challenged girl to make a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Stephanie I accept your challenge!

    ReplyDelete